St Andrew’s School, Turi is privileged to be hosting Olympian and Jazz musician, Marilyn Okoro. She will be spending time coaching our athletes, providing insight on career athletics and perhaps life.
We caught up with Marilyn at Senior School during lunch and she gave us some insight into her life.
- At 35, she has been competing professionally for 15 years
- She is a 2 x Great Britain Olympian with medals in the 4 x 400m relay. She is a 400m and 800m runner, who mainly competes in the 800m and the relay.
- Marilyn is a French and politics graduate from University of Bath.
- She is a Jazz and gospel singer – Marilyn started this at University where she was dep for a friend and their band. This was the university ball; she stayed with the band from then.
- Her main focus at the moment is Tokyo 2020. Great Britain trials are June 2020. She is also preparing for the Indoor World Championships in Nanjing March 2020
- Marilyn has a puppy called Bentley.
- Her favourite country to compete in was China – She thought the food was amazing food, so were the people. Indoor World Championships in Nanjing March 2020
- She loves School- Marilyn began running in school so she really likes to go to schools to help train the next generation of athletes.